Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What's your superpower?
I admit that I "stole" this from my friend Kelly's blog. That being said, it's time that I break my silence on this issue. Those close to me or who are around me often (co-workers) know that I was a breastfeeding mom through Isaac's first birthday. I am not hugely outspoken about it because I feel that it was a personal choice that I made and every woman should have the right to choose whether or not she wants to breastfeed. (I say should because I have friends who are unable to make this choice due to medical conditions.) I was proud of my decision and my perseverance. There were times that it would have been easy to give up, not simply out of convenience, but out of severe pain (and I do mean severe; if you really want details, email me)! But I stuck with it! I did it because my son was worth it! I am NOT one of those women who looks down on those who formula-feed; as I said, it's their choice. The thing that does irritate me is women who say, "Oh, it must have been really easy for you!" No, it wasn't. If you choose to formula-feed, I have ZERO problems with that, and I don't think less of you! But don't simply assume that because I breastfed for an entire year that it was easy for me. Case in point: After six weeks of nursing, I had such severe lacerations that I went to see a lactation consultant. She was shocked that I was still breastfeeding and advised me to stop (not because of danger to Isaac or me, but because of pain); I didn't. I went back to work after seven weeks, and I pumped three to four times a day for the remainder of the school year. Then, when school started back in the fall, I pumped twice a day through February. It wasn't convenient; I had to take work and lesson plans home; but I did it. At the end of the day, does making milk count as a superpower? I think so, and I bet Isaac does too!

2 comments:

Johnson said...

You go girl!!! I also have had many struggles - clogged ducts, thrush, low supply... but it is so worth it to me. I get sad thinking that this is the last baby I will get to nurse. I thought it would be hard having two little kids and trying to nurse a third, but it has been so great.

Women who pump and work amaze me. You guys rock.

YEAH for nursing!

-Kelly

The Webb Master said...

Ok. This is sick. Can we please put a parental guidance rating on posts so that people like me don't wonder off into something I wish I would have never read?

Yikes.