Wednesday, July 06, 2011

July 6, 2011


Notice anything different?

How about now?

Well, in case you didn't, I will just tell you...I don't have a feeding tube anymore!!!! Today is only the second time my mommy has seen my entire face, and it's the first time my daddy has. The other time was for a split second when I was switched from the oscillator to the ventilator. In case you are wondering, my mommy thinks I am SUPER CUTE!!!

Aaron is now taking two ounces of milk every four hours by bottle. He eats it pretty fast, too. This means he is using up a lot more energy. Because of that, he has had a couple of episodes in which he holds his breath or forgets to breathe (apnea), and this causes his heart rate to drop. He quickly recovers each time. This is a common problem in preemies because they have an immature central nervous system. The nurses and doctors will monitor Aaron, and he will not be sent home until he goes through two full days without an episode. The nurse warned me that Aaron could possibly have to use his feeding tube again because he got his Hep B vaccine today and he is being circumcised later this week; she said that these things sometimes make preemies go backwards a bit, though they usually jump right back to where they were within a couple of days.

Aaron weighs 4 pounds, 14 1/2 ounces today! He is a growing boy! His nurse told me that as long as he keeps feeding well and growing, he should be going home soon. The first thing I did when I got home tonight was get the baby gear out to wash it! This is certainly exciting news! Now to find a larger car....

As you continue praying for Aaron, please pray that his central nervous system matures and that he is able to overcome the apnea episodes. Please also pray that he is able to handle some of the things he will be going through in the next few days. Pray for David, Isaac and me as well; this entire experience has been somewhat stressful on our family with the coming and going all the time. God has certainly been faithful throughout this process, and we are excited to see Him complete this work in Aaron and in us!

0 comments: