Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 22, 2011


When I walked into Aaron's room this morning, it took me a moment to figure out what was different. There was something missing, but I couldn't quite place it. Then my mom asked where his oxygen tank was. That's it...he is completely off of oxygen support! He now breathes 100% on his own! The doctor did say that sometimes babies have to go back on oxygen at some point, but we are praying that he is able to sustain himself without it. Since he isn't on it any longer, his blood gases only have to be drawn once a day; they had previously been taking it multiple times a day.

When the nurse came in, she went over his day with me. He had been doing a great job without the oxygen support. His bilirubin had gone up to 10.8 this morning, but they were still keeping him on the biliblanket rather than the overhead lights since he was so much more comfortable being swaddled. She did say that if it didn't continue to go down he would have to go back under the lamps, but she felt confident that it would go down since he is on the blanket and since his body is effectively getting rid of waste. He also lost a little more weight; he weighed 4 lbs, 1/4 oz this morning. They did increase his milk intake from 3 ml every three hours to 8ml. It seems that his belly may have been trained to expect food because right before it was time for him to be fed, he got fussy; as soon as he got his milk in his tube, he was contented.


The doctor removed his final chest tube today. Aaron's chest x-rays have been good; his lungs are fully expanded, and it appears that the holes have healed. There has been no reforming of air pockets. The doctor said he was anxious to get the tube out since it seemed to be inactive and can be an opportunity for infection the longer it stays in. Premature babies are at a higher risk of infection, so we are extremely careful to keep germs at a minimum. In fact, we have placed hand sanitizer all around our home in efforts to get used to using it. We will also be doing a deep clean of our home before he is released from the hospital. Where I was quite relaxed about germs with Isaac, I will have to be on guard at all times with Aaron.


The real treat for me was that after his chest tube was removed and I went back in the room, the nurse brought in a recliner so that I could do "kangaroo care" with Aaron. This meant I got to hold him...for 45 minutes!!! Kangaroo care is a method of bonding with your child that was discovered in Bogota, Columbia. It was appealing there primarily because of its cost effectiveness...it's a free form of therapy! When its use was instituted, it greatly decreased the infant mortality rate! It is basically skin-to-skin bonding, and it has been proven to help the infant develop in many ways. It was a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing time for both of us; I look forward to many more! David came straight to the hospital after work so that he could hold Aaron as well; this was a blessed day for our family.





Big brother Isaac has been so excited to touch his baby brother, and he was able to do that tonight. He is mesmerized!


Aaron has taught me many lessons during his first ten days of life! I have learned to love in the midst of horrific pain. I have learned that many things I have valued are not nearly as important as love, family, and making a way for my children. I have learned that prayer is powerful and effective; it does work! I have learned that true friends surround you with love and support in time of need. I have learned who my true friends are. I have been challenged to be a better friend, daughter, wife, and sister than I am now. I have learned that God is faithful even when we are not, that He cares for me in the midst of my pain, and that He listens when I talk to Him!


As you continue to pray for Aaron, please pray for no infections, for the bilirubin to continue to go down, for him to continue to breathe on his own, and for continued positive development. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

0 comments: